Hubbard Rake Production Manager
The Hubbard Rake Company is located in Jonesport, Maine, about as "Down East" as you can get—at the far eastern end of Maine's long sinuous coastline. It's also smack in the middle of the state's wild blueberry bounty. Blueberries are big business in Maine, especially the wild low-bush variety—the state's 2011 wild blueberry harvest weighed in at 83.1 million pounds and was worth more than $70 million!
Hubbard Rake quality control is helmed by Zeus, the operation's canine production manager, with product development pioneered by company proprietor Ike Hubbard. Ike developed his first prototype rake in 1990 and has since refined the design to encompass a wide range of styles and options, from a small 20-tooth model (1.25 pounds, $36) to 30-tooth (30T) model with raised handles to a three-foot-wide 110-tooth super-scooper (10 pounds, $140). Ike also produces other specialized rakes for for cranberries and huckleberries.
For backpackers and day-hikers, there is a "mini" working version that weighs in at around one pound ($34). It also features a reversible handle for better packability.
Of course, you'll need to find a lush and abundant blueberry patch before a Hubbard rake comes in handy—but that's not Zeus' concern, now is it? Happy picking!
Support your Northeast gear companies! Here are the 19 I've profiled to date:
- Delorme (Yarmouth, Maine)
- Ibex Outdoor Clothing (White River Junction, Vt.)
- Jetboil (Manchester, N.H.)
- New England Ropes (Fall River, Mass.)
- Nemo Equipment (Manchester, N.H.)
- Orion Signal and Survival Products (Easton, Md.)
- Dermatone Sunscreen (Windsor, Ct.)
- Darn Tough Socks (Northfield, Vt.)
- STABILicers (Biddeford, Maine)
- Noble Biomaterials (Scranton, Pa.)
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear (Biddeford, Maine)
- New Balance (Boston, Mass.)
- Sterling Rope (Biddeford, Maine)
- Stephenson's Warmlite (Gilford, N.H.)
- Crazeeheads (Port Washington, N.Y.)
- Equinox Gear (Williamsport, Pa.)
- We-Flashy (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
- Evelo Electric Bicycles (New York, N.Y.)
- Vargo Outdoors (Lewisburg, Penn.)